Falmouth Packet Archives 1688-1850
The Manor of Arwenack - ownership timeline
1. Thomas, Lord of the Manor of Arwenack, was followed by his son,
Lord of the Manor of Arwenack, followed byhis son
3. Robert, Lord of the Manor of Arwenack, whose daughter
4 Jane Arwenack,
married Simon Killigrew
(date?) Simon was the son of John Killigrew
and Mary Poltesmore.
5. John Killigrew, ( - 1567) the first Captain of Pendennis Castle (built by John Treffry of Fowey circa 1548)
6. Sir John Killigrew
( - 1594) (Knighted by Queen Elizabeth in 1574)
7. Sir John Killigrew
( - 1632 ) (Knighted by James I. in 1617) Married (& divorced) Jane (-1648), daughter of Sir George Fermor
8. Peter Killigrew ( - ) (Brother of John, above)
In 1646 The house was set on fire by the troops at Pendennis Castle, the last to hold out against Cromwell, in Cornwall, to prevent it from being occupied. The central tower and banqueting hall were destroyed.
Susan Gay, introduces us to Old Falmouth, (published in 1903), saying how she remembers visiting Falmouth with her parents and enjoyed the rare freedom of "frocks bedabbled with sea-water, and the yellow shells, real treasures, picked up on the beaches at the Bar," which no longer exist. She remembers seeing the arrival of the first steam engine (in 1863) at the new Falmouth station; "the engine decorated with evergreens, and carrying a group of enraptured gentlemen, waving their hats, to a banquet in the goods shed"
Behind Arwenack Manor, she describes the Rope-Walk and its tarry sheds, and the men with the yarn around their waists spinning marvellous and endless cords, the mingled scents of flowers and rope, and tar which came from the old sheds near to the entrance to the rope-walk, with their two great stone balls, the Killigrew entrance-gate ."
"John of Arwennack"
is mentioned in a deed of 1264 when the Lord Bishop and Dean of Exeter assigned all the church land of Arwennack in farm to Richard de Laherne, Rector of St. Columb Major, with the common pasture on the West, lying between the house of John of Arwennack and the sea.
The same Bishop (Branscombe) held Court at Penryn twice a year, at Glasney College which he founded in 1264]
The Manor of Killigrew consisted of land in various parts of Cornwall. John Killigrew de Killigrew
held land in 1297, and Arwenack was acquired when one of the family, Simon, married
Jane, the daughter and heiress of Robert, Lord of Arwenack, and removed, it is conjectured, somewhere about 1385
(it may be later) from his old home at St. Erme to Arwenack Manor. It was some 300 years before the Killigrew name died out.